Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Upon reflection, I realized that my "Seven Secrets" were really a bummer. One should never do things like that when one is feeling too....reflective. I'm calling a REDO:

1. I want to collect shells on beaches around the world. I want to walk on all the beaches but REALLY want a boatload of really unusual shells. Like Bruce Brown's classic surf documentary, "Endless Summer", I want to travel to the sand and waves around the world...I'll just leave the surfing to Jen.

2. I got married a month after I graduated high school and a month before turning 18. Monica is 28 so do the math...I wasn't' knocked up. We drove across country in a 72 Dodge van towing my car, a red 55 Chevy named Paco that we built -- Mark was supposed to work for his Dad in Camden, South Carolina. We had no phone so communicated by CB (hey, it was the 70's). Neither the job nor the dad-relationship worked out but we were stuck until we could sell the car and trailer for money to get back to Santa Cruz. We brought home three kittens. It was really a great bonding experience for newlyweds, seeing the world together.

3. I have a fear about the genetics of Alzheimer's. My mom got it and while the early stages seemed humorous, there is nothing funny about visiting your mom and not having her recognize you. I pray they find a cure before long though I suspect my kids think it's too late for me.

4. I started smoking in high school to fit in with the cool kids. When a girl came up to me in the smokers lot at school and said...."Wow, I didn't know you smoke", I felt SO cool. Funny that I always hated the smell on my hands and my breath. I couldn't smoke when it was hot. I didn't smoke for long and have developed a total intolerance of the habit. I hate smelling the smoke when the driver of a car ahead of me has their smoke billowing from the window. Or smoke and coffee breath...gag!

5. I realized I spent an inordinate amount of my high school time in a lip-lock. Nothing naughty. No second base. No heavy (or light) petting. Just lip-chapping makin' out. Guy friends that needed to polish their skills always seemed in good supply. I was shocked to realize that there were prehistoric scenes in the Cave Train. Who knew? I wasn't watching. Let's say that practice makes perfect. You'll have to ask Mark if I was a good student.

6. After years of riding behind Mark on a motorcycle, I finally learned to ride for myself shortly before I turned 40. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course and had a Sportster that I put quite a lot of miles on, many with kids behind me. Our first big trip with Hope and Gloria was to Coos Bay. Gloria was four and a half, Hope was what? Seven? Eight? Glo rode behind Mark so I could keep an eye on her from my bike. She liked to flap her arms and legs like a bird to keep busy. Hope rode with me. She liked to play tic-tac-toe on the back of my coat.

7. I standing by Meatloaf as a sexual being. I can't explain it. Don't really want to think about it because he truly doesn't do much for me but THAT video with the whole baseball theme being called in the background -- lets just say it brings back some warm memories for me.

There. Much less pathetic. No sticky tape issues.

4 comments:

Kym said...

I enjoyed both lists though I have to say "MEATLOAF????"

Indie said...

That's so cute, your little girl playing tic-tac-toe on your back. My family had motorcycles when I was a kid (inexplicably...) and I always rode behind my older sister. I can still remember just what her hair looked like, blowing back into a V. Helmets weren't such a necessity back then...

Gloria said...

I was stretching. I was not dancing like Michael Jackson...
and playing tic tac toe was fun because I always won... :]

Jeff said...

I got such a kick out of that Meatloaf memory. Boy, if that doesn't take me back to backseats of Mom's station wagon at Valley Forge park with Julie B. Who needs glossy music videos with a performance like that. Thanks for digging that one out of the archives.