Wednesday, April 9, 2008

HE WAS A HARD-HEADED MAN, HE WAS BRUTALLY HANDSOME...


I’m stepping outside my normal blog box to share a political new blog with y’all but it is of interest to anyone following the continuing saga of EPD. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m pro-cop (with a few exceptions). I’m well aware that many are anti-cop (with a few exceptions). Back in the day, before the birth of Queen Monica, I dispatched for Santa Cruz PD. I sent officers out on too many scary calls to not be aware of the sucky and thankless job they have. Like many, I do think our tax dollars could be spent on something besides C.A.M.P. but until the law is changed, the cops are forced to enforce. Anyway.....

As a tax payer in the City of Eureka, I was more that a little ticked that a City Council meeting was called with very little notice to extend the contract of the Chief. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled with the rousting of tweakers and the raids on crack houses. I’m also well aware that often shit must be stirred up in order to properly clean a waste receptacle. However, when police personnel put their very jobs on the line to publicly comment on the low moral in the department owing to the new Chief, I am shocked that the Council didn't see fit to at least consider the allegations even IF the ground forces are doing a great job at clearing up the trash.

I was doubly pissed at hearing Councilman Mike Jones who had determined that the claims by employees were “baseless”. When people are willing to risk their jobs to speak publicly, doesn't it deserve at least a look-see? Even if the claims appear to be without merit, isn't it worth at least a cursory look? To listen to those officers and staff THEN respond with a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT renewal, is shocking to me. Um, City Council? You couldn’t wait maybe a day? A week? Maybe go with a one-year contract until this mess can be sorted out?

To clarify, I don't know IF there is a basis for these complaints. I'm not even sure I care. I'm fairly certain, though, that even if this were the planning department or public works management that displayed such inner drama, someone would at least CONSIDER the issue for a nano-second.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such an icky situation. I truly hope that they can get something resolved and that everyone can work in a somewhat reasonable environment.

hucktunes said...

The EPD needs a wage increase. It's a dangerous job and should be compensated accordingly. My aunt Grace Hernandez worked for the Santa Cruz Sheriff's department, I think as an accountant. And my friend Dave Vidnovic, Stevo's brother, recently retired as a Correctional Officer at the Santa Cruz jail.