Sunday, November 18, 2007

AT LEAST SOMETHING LOOKS WORSE THAN MY GARDEN...

As the end of the semester approaches and final project deadlines loom on the horizon, I've decided that preparing my garden for winter will have to wait. It's embarrassing to look at. There is not much that is more pathetic than my slug-eaten tomatoes and zucchini and the 8-foot high sticks that used to be hollyhocks. Actually there is one thing more pathetic...my araucana hens as they enter into annual moult. This goes double for poor Rosemary. She moults first then, because chickens peck at anything that catches their eye, the others peck at her bare spots. As you can see, Ginger looks pretty full and shiny but alas, poor Rosemary. Egg production has fallen off to one a day for four hens and I'm guessing it ain't Rosemary's baby. If this were Chicken Run, I believe she'd be joining Edwina on holiday before long.

No comments: