Wednesday, February 11, 2009

AND IT BREAKS MY HEART

This video was put together by the Courage Campaign. I think the pictures speak for themselves....but the lyrics hit home. I dare you not to cry a bit, at the thought that in this country that finally managed to elect a Black American to the White House still doesn't see the inequality that still exists. We should all be free to marry the one we love. That's right - just one. Same sex couples just want ONE spouse ... that is MONOGAMY.


Equality is a human right. It's a Constitutional right. Listen to the words you speak when you place your hand over your heart and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Yeah, that's it. Right at the end.... "with liberty and JUSTICE FOR ALL". Proposition 8 was wrong. It IS wrong. It must be repealed.

7 comments:

Joe Cornish said...

Thank you so much for posting this. One of the things that helped me deal with the loss I suffered from that election was support from good and intelligent people like you.

Right now I'm just waiting for the courts to go through this again and hopefully turn things back to where they should be.

I wonder if the people who took this constitution right away know just how much hurt and pain they caused.

Kym said...

The more people who talk about this. The more likely we are to make a change. Next year--legal weddings for all!

Indie said...

What happens to the people who were already married under the law? Are they "grandfathered" in? I met a married couple, both women, at a party recently and I wanted to ask them, but if the answer was that their marriage became annulled, I didn't want to bring up such a painful subject. Still, I'd like to know.

mresquan said...

Indie I believe that they are "grandfathered" in,as I remember the AG specifying that,and I have a gay friend who was telling some gay couples that he knew that they may have wanted to consider marrying prior to the election in case it did pass.

Joe Cornish said...

The California Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments about the validity of the ban on same-sex marriage on March 5.

The court will also hear views on whether the 18,000 same-sex marriages before Prop. 8's passage should remain legal. Protect Marriage, the group that sponsored Prop. 8, wants them invalidated.

Indie, I appreciate your sensitivity but quite possibly the couple needs the opportunity to vent or maybe they just need to know someone cares. They should also know about the monthly rallies (attended mostly by women) in support of marriage equality. They can find out about them at http://impacthumboldt.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

It broke my heart... You can't undo someone's marriage. No matter how you feel about prop 8 you can't take back those vows. You can't unmake those familys. They were legal and they are real. How can anyone think like that?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.