Saturday, February 21, 2009

MAKING A LIST, CHECKING IT TWICE

Are you a list-maker? Real "to do" lists? Seems like I always have a list on the kitchen counter of things I need to do. As I was thinking about this, I recalled Jen posting her list and tracked down the post. Mine are nowhere as detailed (or long) as hers but I find it helps me get my ducks in a row. Without lists, I miss half the stuff I plan to do.

My shopping list is a gotta have...a tablet on the frig with a pencil nearby is how I'm sure I'm never (well, almost never) out of anything for more than a week. I usually have a list on my desk at work though the best organization suggestion I ever had was to spend the last five minutes of your work day figuring out your project for the next morning and place it in the middle of your desk. That pile is generally my "work to do" list.

My to-do lists are a way to get to the end of my day without muttering "Shit, I forgot to....". Seems like, during the week, I always notice things that I want to get done on the weekend but, without the list, I never seem to remember them. I'll look out the window at night and see the bird feeders are low or the recycling is overflowing. On the back of an envelope, I'll start my list. By laying it all out there, I can plan my day. Of course, things like laundry seldom make the list because they're constants .... there's always a load in progress.
As much as a reminder, my lists are tangible proof of accomplishment. Every completed project noted with a vigorous line or two. At the end of the day, I know I got something done. Most of today's list is done and I even got a walk on the beach in this morning while the potatoes baked for gnocchi. Oh, and a few loads of laundry. I will now grab a glass of wine along with a thread and needle to stitch up my purse. Then I'll make my list for tomorrow. I'll probably make one for Mark, too....sorry honey.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was never a list person. I just wandered up and down every aisle in the store picking up random interesting products. I often returned home to find my bags contained endives and kalamata olives but I was still out of milk.
My Husband changed that. At first I found his list obsession strange, and his attempts to bring some order to my wander through life were annoying. Over time I began to envy the sense of satisfaction I saw him get when he would cross off his last item. Finally I gave in and made myself a list. Now we have milk... cool.

beachcomber said...

See? Milk is seldom on the list because we ALWAYS need it....yet I sometimes forget it because it ISN'T on the list. And at Winco, I seldom want to go back for it.

Gloria said...

What the eff is gnocchi?

Fred Mangels said...

"And at Winco, I seldom want to go back for it.".

Yeah. You have to go all the way to the back of the store for that.

Indie said...

I am a compulsive listmaker. Next thing you know, I'll have a list of lists I'm going to make.

Indie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beachcomber said...

I know what you mean, Indie. Oh and I didn't edit you -- just deleted a duplicate that postedd.

Fred, I think that's common grocery marketing to put the milk at the far back of the store. Since it's often a needed item and you have to pass by other good stuff on the way to it, there's a good chance you'll grab something else on the way past,

Fred Mangels said...

By golly, you might be right. Thinking about it, Safeway and the other stores all have their milk towards the back, don't they?